Friday, March 23, 2012

"A Harum-Scarum Schoolgirl"

(I posted this last night to two other of my journals, but it was late and I needed to sleep, so didn't get around to crossposting here.)

I've been reading Angela Brazil novels - girls at boarding school, WWI era - and the first two were kind of femme-slashy, but this one...

(Diana, the main character, talking about her roommate, Loveday):

"I'm falling in love with her," she admitted to Wendy. "I was taken with her, of course, the moment I saw her, but I believe now I'm going to have it badly. I think she's beautiful! If there were a Peach Competition, she'd win at a canter."

(Diana has gone to bed very upset):

All night long Loveday had uneasy and troubled dreams about Diana. They met and parted, and quarrelled and made it up, they did ridiculous and impossible things, such as crawling through tubes or walking on roofs; they were pursued by bulls, or thye floated on rivers; yet always they were together, and Loveday, with a feeling of compunction and no sense at all of the ridiculous, was trying with a sponge to mop up Diana's overflowing rivers of tears that were running down and making pools on a clean table-cloth. She awoke with a start, feeling almost as if the sheets were damp. Stealthy sounds came from the next cubicle, and the candle was lighted there.

"What's the matter, Diana?"

"S-h-s-h!"

"Aren't you well?"

"Yes, I'm all right."

"What is it, then?"

As a grunt was the only answer, Loveday got up and drew aside the curtains. Her room-mate was ready dressed, and was in process of combing her light-brown locks and fixing in a slide.

"What the dickens are you up to, child?" ejaculated Loveday in amazement.

Diana turned quickly, pulled Loveday down on to the bed, flung an arm round her and laid a fluffy head on her shoulder.

"Oh, do be a sport!" she implored.

"But what do you want to do?"

Never fear, she actually just wants to go visit her cousin, who's getting sent to the front. However, female ejaculation is apparently not a myth. ;)

Later, they get a new agriculture teacher who brings two student- assistants with her...

"I believe I'm going to adore Miss Chadwick! She looks so sporty. She wrinkles up her nose when she laughs, just like a baby does."

"The little dark student with the freckles is my fancy."

"Oh! I like the other, with the bobbed hair."

An accidental scan forward for the words "in love" makes me think there's more delights to come. :)

No comments: