Monday, March 26, 2012

"A Harum-Scarum Schoolgirl" (Angela Brazil)

More excerpts of femme-slashy goodness for you...

Diana has pulled a prank (put hats and mustaches on plaster casts of the Greek gods) and is being punished by having to wear the basic school uniform all the time - she can't change into nice clothes for dinner or dancing class (where, of course, the girls dance with each other):


She was a girl of spirit, and she did not mean to betray, even by the blink of an eyelid, how much she cared. Geraldine, Hilary, and Ida had rubbed in her ostracism, and certain impudent juniors had enjoyed themselves with witticisms at her expense. To these she must preserve an attitude of sang-froid. But up in the ivy room, when she went to bed, the mask fell off. The Diana that cuddled in Loveday's arms was a very different Diana from the don't-care young person of downstairs. Loveday - who understood her now - consoled and kissed where a term ago she would have scolded. There are some dispositions that can only be managed by kisses.

...

"...Miss Todd says I've been utterly and entirely spoilt. Do you think I have?"

Loveday took the piquant little face between her two hands and looked a moment into the upturned grey eyes.

"Yes," she decided. "You're undoubtedly a spoilt darling - but you're a darling all the same," she added softly under her breath.


Kisses!

Diana's parents are coming back and plan to take her with them on a tour of England in a rented car:

"But that isn't all yet. I haven't finished telling you," triumphed Diana, laying a fluffy head on her room-mate's shoulder, and poking a caressing finger into Loveday's dimples. "Mother said in her letter that she guessed I'd enjoy the tour so much more if I had a girl companion with me, and would I like to ask one of my school friends? You bet I would! Ra-there! Do you know whom I'm going to ask?"

"Wendy?"

"Wendy! No! I'm very fond of her, but she's not
the one for a tour like this. Besides, I know she's going to the seaside with her own home folks. There's only one person from Pendlemere I want, and that's Loveday. Will you come! I'd just adore to have you!"


Stuck her finger in her friend's dimples?

During the tour they are once forced to sleep in separate rooms, and Diana sees a mouse (because of her habit of keeping biscuits under her pillow in case she wakes up hungry at night):


The intruder, equally terrified, took the hint to quit, and scuttled away. The idea that it might return to seek her biscuits was too much for Diana.

"Even if I eat them it'll come back to see if they're there," she thought. "I'd have a fit if I felt it under my pillow again. I can't sleep another wink in here, that' certain. I'd as soon have spooks as rats or mice. I'm going to Loveday."

So, though the time was about 1a.m., she jumped up, seized the candle, and managed to find her way along the passage to her friend's room. Loveday, much astonished to be thus awakened, took her into her bed, and they laughed over the little adventure.

"Oh, yes, it's all very fine to laugh," said Diana. "But if you were all alone you wouldn't like it yourself. Nothing will induce me to sleep by myself again in a strange hotel; so I warn you. You'll be saddled with your pixie girl for the rest of the tour. She's a scared baby at nights, and she doesn't mind confessing it."


Weakest most obvious scheme EVER for getting people in bed together? Does it beat the hypothermia gag used in so many slash fic?

No comments: