Thursday, March 15, 2012

feed me, Seymour...

Yesterday I heard a report on the radio that many of the construction workers hired for the projects being worked on for the Olympic games were overweight and having a lot of accidents, so they were offered bowls of porridge for breakfast and that cut down on their accidents. Apparently many of them had been eating high carb breakfasts like pancakes, and getting blood sugar crashes, when what you need in the morning is a proper mix of protein and sugar. I guess oatmeal is high in protein and if you have a little brown sugar and some raisins, that works.

That makes me feel great about my usual regimen of oatmeal with cashews and dried cranberries, yet confused, because I have a crash around 9 or 10am and need more food. If I have eggs and potatoes, though, I rarely have that crash. Of course I do eat half as much oatmeal as is considered a serving on the back of the oatmeal container, but when I eat eggs I probably eat half again more, at least, than that which is considered a serving. ;)

The dietitian who was interviewed on the radio said that the Masai have an excellent breakfast for keeping going all morning, or all day - they have two week old fermented milk in the morning (like yogurt), then a little straight blood, then some millet porridge which they ball up and take with them to nibble on all day. And that makes me feel all the better about my idea of making 'cookies' with my oatmeal (cashews and cranberries included, of course) and taking them with me to eat all day. I ought to get back on the project of figuring out how to do that properly.

Possibly unrelated, I drove 205 miles for work, yesterday, and was freaking exhausted. From all that driving I trained six people. I managed to convince myself to walk on the treadmill for a little over 20 minutes (in my hiking boots), when I got home, and then I slept really hard last night.

No comments: